Friday, December 20, 2013

A Bequest for the Future Bullfrog

Dear Bloggers,
       I have embarked on a journey to complete all of the recipes included in Bullfrog and Baum's "Cooking With Frogs" which can be found here. It is a collection of recipes from all of the talented, appreciative foodies that work at the firm. I decided to begin my journey with chili and stuffed button mushrooms. I am currently staying home with my mother in California with her newly adopted nephew which is why I had to choose the simplest recipe to cook with staying here. I was expecting a good two hours of cooking, but the food was easy to prepare and quick cooking. 

I started by feeding my hunger with some creamy guacamole served with the one and only, TJ pita chips. Smashed avocados, lime, fresh cilantro, red onion. There is really nothing quite as smooth and soothing. I truly adored the chili as it was as simplistic as a snap with a dash of chopping. A classic chili dish, so to spruce it up I added a splash of red wine, a pinch of cayenne, and a few teaspoons of fresh cilantro. I served it with some mild New Zealand cheddar cheese and fresh crumbled corn bread. I let it simmer for about an hour to get the flavors more deeply infused, although for someone who is in a rush, this is the perfect meal for a Wednesday night.

Moving on to the stuffed button mushrooms. I showed my mother the recipe and she was extremely hesitant about the anchovies. As was I, but while shopping in Trader Joe's, a woman talked with us about how they are a key ingredient and well, my mom was sold. After sautéing the onion, I added in stems with the anchovies and the parsley. The binding of the egg added a nice flavor to somewhat mute any overly earthy flavors that the mushrooms emitted. I am not a huge fan of mushrooms. Something about the texture sets me slightly off, but these, were so flavorful, I really was impressed. 

Overall, each of the two dishes were quick, simple and ultimately fulfilling. Thank you bullfrogs. Two dishes out of twenty-five. Twenty-three more to go. Cheers. Until I return to Virginia, stay healthy, and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment